Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Picture of Dorian Gray ****

I finished reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. A book that I was not allowed to read as a child, I always felt a strong desire to read it if for that reason alone. But I've also always been fascinated with the idea of the human soul. The notion that one could see the condition of their own soul is very intriguing.
Throughout the book, Dorian becomes progressively more depraved and evil as he realizes that there are no true consequences for his actions, and comes to believe that the "only way to get rid of temptation is to satisfy it." I wonder how I would behave under similar circumstances. Would I remain a good person, or would the lack of moral consequences lead me to the worst kinds of immorality?

No comments:

Post a Comment